Why Lasers for Utah Concealed Carry?
Compelling Reasons for Lasers & CCW:
- When all your vigilance & training disappear in the fog of panic, confusion, & terror of an attack, your laser still shines through. This is an immediate, decisive, overwhelming advantage & gets your gun on target much quicker.
- You can be so much more effective in protecting yourself by not having to focus your eyes on tiny iron sights rather than the threat you are confronting. In a gunfight, you can aim effectively from almost any position.
- You will enjoy increased confidence and pistol shooting accuracy.
- The Crimson Trace brand offers a unique advantage of instinctive activation of the laser without even needing to make some separate movement to switch it on.
- Most lasers are fully adjustable for windage and elevation and help to overcome the struggles of using the marginal sights on many concealable guns.
- Most lasers can be added to a pistol later.
- Lasers are a huge deterrent during a violent attack, and convince most criminals to cease their attack. I believe most criminals are "stupid", but even they recognize when they are painted with a laser on their chest that they might not be having a good day. Hopefully they will make a better-informed decision, and give up rather than forcing you to drop the hammer on them.
- If you are serious about surviving a violent attack, you need to go to your local shoot range, and try a pistol with a laser, and experience the difference for yourself!
- The relatively small incremental cost is certainly justified by the above benefits.
A Few Downsides To Be Aware Of:
- You need to buy a different holster that accommodates your gun + laser setup.
- Batteries don't last forever and need to be replaced periodically.
- Your finger may interfere with some laser grips when it is "straight & off the trigger".
- Need to have a tactical flashlight available to help positively identify your target.
- Some lasers are not readily visible during bright daylight conditions.
Some Good Pistol+Laser Options to Consider for Utah CCW:
- Kahr PM9 - Author's personal favorite 9mm CCW, with Crimson Trace Laserguard sight in a DeSantis SuperFly pocket holster. I couldn't be happier with this setup.
- S&W Bodyguard 380 - .380 with integrated laser.
- S&W Bodyguard 38 - .38 Special with integrated laser.
- Sig Sauer P290 - Sub-compact 9mm with opt'l integrated laser.
- Sig Sauer P238 - 380 Tactical Laser.
- Kimber Solo - 9mm with LaserGrips.
- Ruger LCR - Affordable & popular .38 Special with LaserGrips.
- Ruger LCP - Very popular .380 with LaserMax CenterFire laser.
By Mike Munnerlyn, a Utah Concealed Weapons Permit Instructor
I am currently retired from teaching. My son-in-law Rob Wilkinson, who used to teach with me, is now teaching on his own. Please call him at 801-671-6773.
** Not accepting registrations **
Follow Us On Facebook