Top-10 Keys to Concealed Carry Success
I believe the purpose of concealed carry is simply to have the tools, training, and mindset to enable you to legally & responsibly protect your own life, and the lives of your loved ones against a potentially violent or deadly attack.
- Click on this Utah Concealed Weapons Permit link to see just how easy it is to get a Utah Concealed Carry Permit. Most all your questions will be answered on this informative website. When you are ready, you can register right on-line for an upcoming class, or request a private class at your location. This is the very best first step you can possibly take towards learning how to become competent to responsibly protect yourself and your family.
- Before making the decision on which handgun to use/buy for concealed carry, go rent (or borrow) several to test fire, in a variety of calibers and types. Select a handgun that is at least a .380/9mm/.38SPL calibre or greater, that you are willing to practice and become proficient with, and that you can conceal in a convenient enough manner to do so daily. Remember the #1 rule of winning a potential gunfight is to have a gun. If it's too big to conveniently conceal, you won't carry it all the time, and potentially won't have it when it's needed to help save your life. Also, if this will be your first pistol purchase, I strongly recommend you buy a revolver. They are the most reliable, safer, and easiest to operate, first handgun to own, until you have considerable experience with pistols. Some have laser sights that can be a huge advantage. Please contact my son-in-law, Rob Wilkinson (a licensed FFL gun dealer), at BlackRifleWorksLLC@Gmail.com, to learn about some of the best concealed carry pistols he has for sale for reasonable prices.
- Obtain a holster that will allow you to properly conceal your handgun while keeping it readily accessible. Remember that 'concealed means concealed'. Don't give up your tactical advantage by allowing anyone to know you are carrying, or see it printing in your pocket, or poking out slightly under your clothes. Purchase the same self-defense ammo that the police in your area are using. Also, be sure to carry spare ammunition to avoid clicking an empty gun, during a life and death situation.
- After you complete the Utah CCW permit class, be sure and get additional professional training in the proper tactics and methods of concealing, quick draw from concealment, presenting, firing, reloading, and re-holstering, with the actual weapon you will conceal. You can't really train yourself. You can practice on your own, but you need to be taught correct techniques and habits, to avoid forming bad ones.
- Constantly reinforce the 4 Basic Gun Safety Rules during your training, so you become fully committed to consistent adherence to these important safety techniques. Here they are again, as a reminder:
- Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
- Always keep your finger off the trigger until you have made the decision to fire.
- Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy, including yourself.
- Always be sure of your target - what is in front of and behind it.
Thanks for your willingness to seriously pursue this important process, and for working to become a competent, safe, and skilled Utah Concealed Carry Permit holder, and armed citizen.
Mike Munnerlyn, Instructor
Utah Concealed Weapons Permit
I am currently retired from teaching. My son-in-law Rob Wilkinson, who used to teach with me, is now teaching on his own. Please call him at 801-671-6773.
Follow Us On Facebook