Mike's Custom Self-Built AR
Well, it took me over 10-yrs to complete this project, but it is now mostly how I want it. It started out as a stock, off-the-shelf, Bushmaster Shorty (16"), and over the years I have been picking away at improving components. Today, all that remains from the original, is the lower receiver. Every other part has been upgraded. If I could only own 1 firearm, it would absolutely be an AR-15. I learned a lot in the process of building up this rifle, and now believe anyone with the desire and just a little guidance can build their own. The barrel is not yet broken in, but I'm hoping for ~ 1/2" MOA from this rifle, and will be fine-tuning range cards out to 600 yds this summer.
UPPER - Configured as SPR (Special Purpose Rifle):
- Vltor MUR-1a flat-top upper receiver. Vltor BCM Gunfighter charging handle with medium latch. Young Machine, Nat'l Match, M16 chrome bolt carrier group.
- Noveske 18", 5.56 SPR stainless barrel, 1:7 twist, improved polygonal rifeling, extended feed ramps, intermediate length gas system, medium contour, pinned low-profile gas block, with an OPS Inc threaded muzzle break (suppressor later this year).
- Noveske 13.5" NSR handrail with KeyMod rail system. ADM QD Harris Bipod rail mount. Harris 9-13" Bipod with KMW Pod-Loc.
- NightForce 5.5-22x56 NXS riflescope with MOAR recticle. Larue Tactical SPR/M4scope mount QD LT104 30mm lever. MagPul MBUS (gen2) backup folding sights.
- Original Bushmaster lower receiver. Rock River ambidextrous safety selector.
- Geissele Automatics Hi-Speed National Match (2-stage adjustable) trigger.
- MagPul upgraded components: CTR adjustable stock, with mil-spec buffer tube, and standard carbine buffer. MIAD grip with battery storage grip insert; B.A.D. lever; and enhanced trigger guard.
Mike Munnerlyn, Instructor
Utah Concealed Carry Permit, LLC
Salt Lake City, UT
I am currently retired from teaching. My son-in-law Rob Wilkinson, who used to teach with me, is now teaching on his own. Please call him at 801-671-6773.
Follow Us On Facebook